The Sandhills Family Heritage Association envisions empowered communities where African Americans are self-reliant, our land ownership is secure, our cultural heritage is respected, our families are safe and healthy, and each generation shares knowledge and leadership with mutual respect.
Sandhills Family Heritage Association (SFHA) provides programs and services to help build economic self-sufficiency, and preserve the natural and cultural heritage of African American families in the Sandhills region of North Carolina. The areas we serve include Cumberland, Harnett, Moore, and Lee Counties.
The mission of SFHA is to identify, preserve and protect community assets that:
- Promote economic self-sufficiency through land ownership and the creation of job opportunities
- Protect land and livelihoods
- Preserve cultural heritage and historical contributions of African Americans in the Sandhills, the state of North Carolina and our country
- Promote health and wellness through education and workshops that focus on healthy environments and preventative care that reduces health risks
Services provided by Sandhills Family Heritage Association are:
- Food Distribution for families in need of food assistance
- Training and Technical Assistance for landowners and farmers
- Sandhills Farmers Market provides a community-based market where you can sell you products and goods
- Free Community Workshops to address economic, environmental, social, and cultural issues
- Heritage Tours that focus on rural African American contributions to North Carolina history and heritage
- Research and Documentation of African American history and heritage in the Sandhills of North Carolina
- Volunteer Service Opportunities for high school, young adults, retirees, and others